Thursday, March 26, 2009

We have a little bird in our house

I love having a toddler! Riley is so much fun and he makes us laugh all the time by the things he says. He is extremely sweet and I love getting hugs and kisses from him. Over the past year I have learned that there are many things that you cannot "make" a toddler to do. This includes, but is not limited to....

1. Napping
2. Using the potty
3. Smiling for a picture
4. Eating


The main one that has caused me stress is the eating issue. For over a year, Riley has been eating like a bird. This is very frustrating! Especially, when dinner takes an hour and he's only eaten a few bites. Now most of you can just say, "Kids will eat when they get hungry." But with Riley we cannot do that. He HAS to eat. He was diagnosed with MCAD through NBS when he was 10 days old. Basically, he has to eat or he has to go to the hospital and get a glucose IV. Thankfully, we haven't ever had to do this. Mainly, it just causes me to worrying if he's eaten enough to keep his blood sugar up.
He also struggles with his weight. He goes up and down on the growth curve. Sometimes he is in the 25% for weight and other times he's in the 5th percentile.

He's been eating horribly for the past week. He's started this new thing where he's keeping food in his cheek and then ends up spitting it out. I've tried just about everything with him. I've tried letting him help me cook and making cute little shapes out of it. That hasn't helped. Sometimes he tells me, "Mommy, its not tasty." He ends up winning because I give in and let him have an ice cream sandwich so that I don't worry about his blood sugar. Unfortunately, he also has issues with constipation. This also has do with him not wanting to eat. Needless to say, mealtime at our house isn't fun. I am beginning to dread each meal. I hate it when I cook a meal for him and then most of it ends up in the trash.

So, why am I posting this?

1. To get it off my chest and vent.

2. To ask for prayer regarding this.

3. To ask for advice. Any ideas are greatly welcomed!!

2 comments:

Becky said...

How about a reward chart? Using stickers he picks out. Would that interest him? If he eats the amount you would like, then he gets a sticker for his chart. At the end of the day he gets to go to a treat box if he earned his stickers. Or to start out, if he earns two out of three for the day then he gets the reward. The treat box can be treasures you find at the Dollar Tree or something.)
It's the teacher in me. I always suggest that type of thing!

Michele said...

I wish I had an original idea for you! Becky's ideas are great! I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this!