Monday, December 1, 2008

My Role As a Mom

Today I've been thinking about the kind of mom I am. I truly want to be the best mom I can be to my two boys. Don't we all desire that? Honestly, I think I can do some improving. Can't we all? Tonight I started rereading one of my favorite books. Its called The Power of a Positive Mom by Karol Ladd. Here is an exert from her book.

"The word mother not only describes what we do, but who we are. From the moment children were first introduced into our lives, we became new people- women with greater purpose, responsibility, and significance.

Colossians 3:17- "And whatever you do whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Verse 23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

Our work is for the Lord. It is ultimately God we are pleasing as we devote ourselves to our families. As we understand the impact that our words and actions have on the lives of our kids, we realize the monumental nature of our task. But God never gives us a job he doesn't first equip us to do. As mothers, we have been specifically created to influence the lives of the generations to follow.

God has given each of us the responsibility to TRAIN, NURTURE, DEVELOP, PREPARE, and TEACH the precious children he has put in our care. Through us- and with his constant guiding presence- he is raising up the next generation. We can still keep going and going- fully assured that one day, in the kingdom that is eternal, we will hear our heavenly Father say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

(Source- Karol Ladd, Power of a Positive Mom (West Monroe, LA: Howard Publishing Co. 2001)

So there are a few things that I am going to start doing to become a better mom to Riley and Ethan:

Start my day off right: As hard as it may be- I want to have my quiet time in the morning. I think its important to start my day off reading God's word and praying for a good day. This is something that I have gotten out of the habit of doing and I have missed it in my life.

Begin a daily Bible time with Riley: I'm not exactly sure what this will look like yet. Riley is only 2 years old but I think its important to start teaching him about Jesus.

Pray all day: I pray daily but not enough. I am going to start praying more often for the small and big things in my life.

3 comments:

ChristinK said...

SO AWESOME you have a BLOG!! YEAH!! I need to update mine more! I love this post...what a great reminder. I need to read that book, also! Love you.

Nicki and Don said...

Rachael, so glad you have a blog now! What a terrific first post! I need to read that book, too. Hope you and your sweet boys are doing great.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you have a blog! You are an awesome friend and mom! I'm going to try to update both of mine more often...