Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A visit from the Tooth Fairy

Back in Mid-October, Riley fell on our kitchen floor while he was trying to take his coat off. He busted his chin and we had to take him to the ER to get 4 stitches. After the accident, Riley's teeth were sore. Long story short... we took Riley to 3 dentists, a periodontist (children's dentist), and 2 oral surgeons in 4 months. We found out that Riley had a broken tooth and it had to be removed.

On Monday, we arrived at the Johnson City Medical Center a little after 6:00 am. Riley was in a good mood and knew that they would be taken out his "hurty tooth." At 7:45 they took Riley back to be sedated. He didn't cry so that definitely helped my nerves. By 8:10 he was finished with the procedure and his tooth had been removed! I couldn't believe how fast it went. Riley was crying a little and he wanted his IV out. At one point he almost pulled it out. It took us about an hour to get him to drink something but then we headed home by 9:30.

Once we were home, he laid around at first but an hour later he was playing in the floor with Ethan and helping his daddy with the dishwasher. He ate well, which was a huge relief to me! I think the worst part of his surgery was just the fear of the unknown. I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly he bounced back!

When we put him to bed, we put his tooth under his pillow and told him that the Tooth Fairy would come and take his tooth. Later that night, Tim and I went into his room to hunt for his tooth. We heard him stirring in his bed and both of us ducked. Then he said, "Mom, what are you doing in here?" Tim told him we were just checking on him. So then we took the tooth and left the money. The next morning he was excited to find that the Tooth Fairy had taken his tooth and even more excited to find $7.



He feels so much better now that his "hurty tooth" is gone. I feel so relieved now that we are finally done with this!




2 comments:

Staci said...

Wow! Seven dollars! I bet he was excited. What's he going to do with all that cash? I'm so glad this is behind you guys. What a relief!

Michele said...

Wow! Your tooth fairy must rich! Let's see ~ $7 x 2 boys x a mouthful of teeth...

I'm so glad it is all over with and that it went well. I know you all are relieved.